Thursday, 6 September 2012

the sky is bruised in pinks and blues

 On Monday morning, very bleary eyed, muddy and in need of a comfortable nights sleep, I returned home after 4 wonderful days at End of the Road Festival in Dorset. I've wanted to go since last year, and after much deliberation my best friend and I bought our tickets in July-a very spontaneous but exciting thing to look forward to! We bundled in to my friend's car on Thursday(apologies for how cramped it was and our idea of 'travelling light') and arrived to a beautiful, hazy afternoon sun across rolling Dorset hills to set up camp.
It's such a pretty festival, and although a lot smaller than Latitude it made it feel a lot more intimate, especially with the amazing attention to detail. Fairy doors in tree trunks, a toy menagerie roaming in the forest, peacocks and parrots flying over the Garden Stage - it couldn't have been more perfect as the sun decided to shine almost every day! It was so lovely discovering new areas where so much thought had obviously gone in to them, and discovering secret sets that weren't announced!

My friend and I decided to have a go at a music quiz on the Sunday, and very nearly left before the end, when who should turn up but Patti Smith! She was an announced headliner but not until the evening, so to see her in the smallest stage to do a reading from her book 'Just Kids' and share her words of wisdom was definitely something I'll never forget. I ashamedly didn't know very much about her, but she is an amazing, inspiring woman with a fair few stories to tell about meeting Allan Ginsberg(!!), her time in New York in the 1960s, and reciting the words to 'People Have the Power'. I'm not ashamed to say that I got very enthusiastic during her set after realising what a cool person she is!
I'm also a massive folk girl at heart so the smaller sets where equally as special, especially as I got to sit front row for one of my all time favourite singers, Leif Vollebekk, and even got to meet him afterwards and catch him playing piano in the woods-I felt very lucky! 
I am now suffering from what I like to call P.F.D(post-festival depression) and long to be back in the fields, and I would seriously recommend End of the Road to anyone who loves a good atmosphere, even better music and a weekend filled with memories and laughter - we spent the majority of the time in hysterics(I have the beginnings of a six pack to prove it) and I'm sure it's because it was the most relaxed I have felt in ages. Unfortunately it's now back to reality - pastry serving and stewarding await, but I will be back EOTR, 2013 it is!

The Lost Girl's 'End of the Road' Playlist:
'Norway' - Beach House
'Charlie Darwin' - The Low Anthem
'Cairo Blues' - Leif Vollebekk
'Woman' - Alessi's Ark
'Beeswing' - The Futureheads
'Emmylou' - First Aid Kit
'Gloria' - Patti Smith
'Hold On' - Alabama Shakes

2 comments:

Thank you for commenting and reading my rambling-your comments always make my day! x