Tuesday, 1 October 2013

in his blue gardens

Personally, I don't think there's any better way to spend a grey Sunday than wandering around a beautiful country house, transporting yourself back to a golden age of candlelight, evening dresses and the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. As you may have already guessed, the Pre-Raphaelites are my favourite art movement, so when I discovered Standen House a few years ago, it has been one of my go-to places when in need of a little escapism and inspiration. Hidden in the depths of the Sussex countryside, this wonderful house is decked out in William Morris wallpaper, tapestries and soft furnishings - perfect for a post holiday pick me up! Although I have visited a few times before, this time round was, dare I say it, better than before. The National Trust have presented each room at different times of the day exactly as it would have been for a 1920s family, with my favourite room lit by candlelight, ready for dressing for dinner. Almost as good as being in 'Downton'. Except in 'Downton' you don't get drawings by ROSSETTI and EDWARD BURNE-JONES on display everywhere you look. It really is a house of dreams.
What better way to end the day than by picking up blooming bunches of September dahlias from an honesty box? Although this was a whole month ago, it's scary how quickly the time has gone! Lots and lots of work has been the main filler, but amongst the long shifts my best friend has finally come home, exciting opportunities have arisen and I am bursting with inspiration, creativity and cannot wait to get started on the rest of my life. Phew, bit of a quick catch up for you, so well done if you made it this far! You may have noticed I've been a bit quiet on the old blogging front recently (cough, two months) BUT I have decided to stop pressuring myself and only blog when the time is right for me. It's my little outlet, but thankfully I have lots lined up so it's all good! You can also follow me on Instagram (@capturingcastles) and Twitter (@thelostgirl93) where a quick snap is probably the most I can manage at the moment!

I will leave you with this wonderful quote by my favourite, F. Scott Fitzgerald, to see you in to October : "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall". Here's to fall. x

Listen to: 'Salty and Sweet' - John Smith
Watch: a good costume drama
Eat: apple and cinnamon muffins

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures, looks like a perfect place for pottering around on a Sunday
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such lovely photography on your blog :)

    Melissa | MELISSA LOVES THIS

    ReplyDelete
  3. so beautiful! :*

    http://landing-in-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting and reading my rambling-your comments always make my day! x